These cookies are a great way to reinforce the lesson of the empty tomb on Easter
morning. Teachers can prepare them at home and bring them to class for their students
to enjoy. The recipe can also be sent home with the suggestion that parents prepare the
cookies the night before Easter Sunday.
*1 cup whole pecans
*1 tsp. vinegar
*3 egg whites
*pinch of salt
*1 cup sugar
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Put pecans in Ziploc bag and let the children break them into small pieces with the
wooden spoon. This shows how Jesus’ body was broken on Good Friday.
3. Have the children smell the vinegar as they put 1 tsp. of it into a mixing bowl. Tell the
children when Jesus was thirsty on the cross he was given vinegar to drink.
4. Add the egg whites to the vinegar. Explain to the children that the eggs represent life
and that Jesus gave his life so we could have eternal life with him.
5. Sprinkle a little salt into the children’s hands. Let them taste it and tell them it stands
for the salty tears shed by Jesus’ followers when he died. Put a pinch of salt into the
6. Tell the children that so far the ingredients don’t seem very tasty, but now we are
going to add 1 cup of sugar to them because the sweetest part of the story is that Jesus
died because he loves us.
7. Beat the mixture with a mixer on high speed for 12-15 minutes until stiff peaks form.
Tell the children the white color represents that we are pure because our sins have been
cleansed by Jesus.
8. Fold in the broken nuts and drop by teaspoons onto a cookie sheet covered with wax
paper. Explain that each mound represents the rocky tomb where Jesus’ body was laid.
9. Put the cookie sheet in the oven, close the door and turn the oven off.
10. Tell the children that the cookies will be left in the oven while they sleep, just as
Jesus’ followers slept as he lay in the tomb.
11. On Easter morning, give the children a cookie and let them take a bite and see that
they are hollow. Jesus’ followers were amazed when they went to the tomb on Easter
and found it empty; Jesus had risen from the dead!